Zoom Video-Conference Classrooms:
For our live, online classes, St. Raphael School use a video-conference software called Zoom, which is both powerful and easy to use. Students join their instructors for real time “face-to-face” class sessions that mimic a bricks-and-mortar classroom experience. This streamlined technology allows us to bring our students face-to-face with master instructors and engaged peers while affording the flexibility of learning from home.
- Class participants can see and hear each other throughout each session.
- Instructors can share documents, photos, and music with the class.
- Instructors can annotate a document for the students to see or write on a virtual whiteboard.
- A "breakout room" feature allows instructors to arrange small-group discussions or activities within the class.
In order to facilitate a smooth and dynamic classroom experience for the entire class, we ask that each student have the following:
- Computer: You will need a stable, reliable computer, running with processor with a speed of 1 Ghz or better on one of the following operating systems: Mac OS X with MacOS 10.6 (Snow Leopard) or later; Windows 8, 7, Vista (with SP1 or later), or XP (with SP3 or later). We do NOT recommending using an iPad or other tablet for joining classes. An inexpensive laptop or netbook would be much better solutions, as they enable you to plug an Ethernet cable directly into your computer. Please note that Chromebooks are allowed but not preferred, as they do not support certain features of the Zoom video conference software such as breakout sessions and annotation, which may be used by our teachers for class activities.
- High-Speed Internet Connection: You will also need access to high-speed Internet, preferably accessible via Ethernet cable right into your computer. Using Wi-Fi may work, but will not guarantee you the optimal use of your bandwidth. The faster your Internet, the better. We recommend using a connection with an download/upload speed of 5/1Mbps or better. You can test your Internet connection here.
- WebCam: You may use an external webcam or one that is built in to the computer. WebCam Recommendations: Good (PC only) | Best (Mac and PC)
- Headset: We recommend using a headset rather than a built-in microphone and speakers. Using a headset reduces the level of background noise heard by the entire class. Headset Recommendations: USB | 3.5mm
Sample Recorded Classes:
- Samples coming for Elementary and Middle School classes—please check back.
- High School Level
Please note that the samples provided utilize Adobe Connect software. Beginning with the 2018-19 school year, we will be using Zoom as our videoconference provider.