After you Enroll
I've enrolled my child--what happens next?
- One to two months before school begins (or within a week or two after enrollment if enrolling after August 1st):
- If you are enrolling a new student, you will receive an automated email through Adobe Connect with your child(ren)'s student account information. Returning students will use their same Adobe Connect username and password that they used for previous St. Raphael School courses.
- Your order will be marked as fulfilled once we have added your child's enrollment to our records and have given your child access to their online live class meetings through Adobe Connect.
- You will receive your first Paypal invoice if you are enrolled in a payment plan.
- Three weeks before school begins: Expect an e-mail with instructions for ordering books and materials for your courses.
- One to two weeks before school begins: Look for an e-mail from your teachers with any other specific information you might need prior to the beginning of classes.
- The week before school: Teachers will schedule open houses, a time to meet the teacher and test your system.
How do I enter the classroom and join classes?
First, test your system and ensure that you have the proper system configuration and plug-in by following this link.
There are two ways to access the Adobe Connect login page:
- Click the login button on the school landing page (www.raphaelschool.org)
- Bookmark the direct link to Adobe Connect (here)
If you have lost access to your user name or password, follow the "forgot your password" link on the login screen. If you have any further problems, contact Mat. Photini Roegner (firstname.lastname@example.org).
How do I register for and use Canvas?
Canvas is a "Learning Management System" (LMS) which provides a place for a course schedule, file sharing, quizzes, communicating with the class (or teacher), submitting assignments and receiving feedback. It is the simplest solution to conducting course-related business outside of the live class.
You will be sent a registration link prior to the beginning of the course.
Canvas has an excellent support site. Here are a few especially useful links:
- How do I reset my password?
- How can I set up e-mail notifications from Canvas about new assignments?
- How do I submit an assignment on Canvas?
What should i do if my child needs to miss a class?
If a student is unable to attend a scheduled class for a legitimate reason with prior notification, they may access the recording for the missed class session on the course page within Canvas.
I need to report a grade for my child's course. how can i do that?
General information about homeschooling and grading can be found on the HSLDA website.
To come up with a grade for the course, here are our recommendations:
- Keep informed about what is going on in your child's class by creating a parent-observer account in Canvas and requiring students to keep an assignment book which you will view periodically.
- Focus on completion, demonstrated effort, participation, and improvement.
- Set expectations at the beginning of the course.
- Keep select student assignments, especially writing and projects, in a file for reviewing at the end of the year.
- Keep it simple and create a holistic grading scale based on your expectations for performance. (Download an example)
- Consult the course teacher for their feedback.