I've enrolled my child—what happens next?
- One to two months before school begins (or within a week or two after enrollment if enrolling after August 1st):
- If you are enrolling a new student, you will receive instructions for setting up your child(ren)'s student account with our Learning Management System (Schoology).
- We will also provide you with all the information you need to connect our online classrooms using Zoom. Note that we no longer will be using Adobe Connect.
- Three weeks before school begins: Expect an e-mail with instructions for ordering books and materials for your courses.
- One to two weeks before school begins: Look for an e-mail from your teachers with any other specific information you might need prior to the beginning of classes.
- The week before school: Teachers will schedule open houses, a time to meet the teacher and test your system.
How do I enter the classroom and join classes?
Zoom: We use a web conferencing software platform called Zoom for our classes, which enables students and teachers to gather from around the globe face-to-face in real time. Zoom is free to download and easy to use.
- Visit zoom.us/download.
- Click to download the first option listed, Zoom Client for Meetings.
- Open and run the installer on your computer.
- In August, students will be provided with instructions and a link for joining their particular class.
If you have lost access to your user name or password or you have any further problems, contact Mat. Photini Roegner (firstname.lastname@example.org).
How do I register for and use Schoology?
Schoology is a "Learning Management System" (LMS) which provides a place for a course schedule, file sharing, quizzes, communicating with the class (or teacher), submitting assignments, and receiving feedback. It is the simplest solution to conducting course-related business outside of the live class.
You will be sent a registration link to Schoology prior to the beginning of the course.
What should I do if my child needs to miss a class?
If a student is unable to attend a scheduled class for a legitimate reason with prior notification, they may request to access the recording of the missed class session on the course page within Schoology.
I need to report a grade for my child's course. How can I do that?
General information about homeschooling and grading can be found on the HSLDA website.
To come up with a grade for the course, here are our recommendations:
- Keep informed about what is going on in your child's class by creating a parent account in Schoology and requiring students to keep an assignment book which you will view periodically.
- Focus on completion, demonstrated effort, participation, and improvement.
- Set expectations at the beginning of the course.
- Keep select student assignments, especially writing and projects, in a file for reviewing at the end of the year.
- Keep it simple and create a holistic grading scale based on your expectations for performance. (Download an example)
- Consult the course teacher for their feedback.